Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sorry. I was at a loss for words.

Wow. I think I'll always remember where I was when the Oilers lost the Stanley Cup to that big-lipped captain and his Alberta-born posse. I was in my friend Dave's basement where I was drinking a lot og MGD. Everyone was speechless after the loss. I drank more beer and ate a fudgesicle, but nothing helped. We were devestated.

It didn't matter that the Oilers weren't supposed to get this far, but they overcame the obstacles and made it anyway. Fans just started to expect them to win most of their games, and after Game 6 (if not before), I think that most people thought deep down that the Oilers would bring home the Cup. I no longer believe in destiny. I have plucked my playoff eyebrows after letting them police themselves for the last two months.

That being said, the Oilers should still be proud of themselves. I doubt that pride is what they're feeling right now, but they did make it a lot further than anyone had originally thought they would. They all pulled togather and Jussi came through when the team needed him. And they made it past Calgary this post season.

July 1 looms closer with every passing day. There used to be some debate over whether or not Igor Ulanov would get his name put on the Cup if they won (having only played 37 games in the regular season. I'd like to think that after fourteen years in the NHL, someone would try their hardest to get his name on there). That debate no longer matters. Ulanov is a free agent after Canada Day, and I keep my fingers crossed. Reality points to retirement, but I hold onto hope that a team picks him up for another season.

In other news, it was VP Don E. Coyote's 23rd birthday yesterday. He is currently working out of town fighting forest fires with limited internet access. I should have mentioned this earlier. He is not being a delinquent fan club member.

Below I have posted some pictures from happier times.

See you in Churchill Square tomorrow. Only in Edmoton, folks!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Greene looks to have found himself a regular spot in the d-corp for next season ( even with the refs singling him out nearly every game given his rook stature during the PO's ) and with even Syvret on the outside looking in for some playing time I think its fair to say that Ulie will not be back ( Pronger-Smith-Staios-Spacek-
Bergeron-Greene )...however, I could see some GM out there kicking the old timer one last kick at the cat albeit for one more year - > hey, even Cross might still be around too as much as it pains me to say it BUT the main thing is is that they are no where near this team moving forward : )

7:24 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger the Prez said...

I don't need a reality check, thank you. Where did you disappear to, anyway?

10:33 PM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, it looks like Ulanov might just have a place on the Oilers back-end next season given the news of Pronger wanting out asap....it can't get any worse either way though.

I didn't disappear actually...I just took the Oilers Stanley Cup run in stride and enjoyed it, however, losing G7 to the Canes and now finding out about Pronger's decree to flee surely makes one silenced even more : (

6:21 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger the Prez said...

In the unlikely event that he ends up in the Western Conference, he will be booed here like it's nobody's business. Oilers fans are like pirhannas.

7:59 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger DonECoyote said...

Enter: Doug Weight.

Hey, did anybody read the sidebar at the top of the main page there? I sure did.

7:13 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger the Prez said...

Hahaha!

Enter: Stephen Harper.

Hey, Dougie, mind if I steal your family's seats while refusing to wear an Oilers' jersey to the game againts your former team?

And Mr. Coyote, I thoroughly enjoy your subtlety.

1:29 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home